Research Interests: Social and Political Thought, Critical Theories, Feminism
PhD Candidate (ABD), Western University
September 2013 to present
- Dissertation: The Politics of Cultural Appropriation
- Supervisors: Dr. Nandita Biswas Mellamphy and Dr. Charles Jones
- Comprehensive Exams: Political Theory and International Relations
MA, Wilfrid Laurier University
September 2012 to August 2013
- Major Research Project:The Social Construction of Crime
- Supervisor: Dr. Loren King
BA (HONS), Queen’s University
September 2007 to April 2012
Instructor, POLS 1020E: Introduction to Political Science
Brescia University College, Winter 2019
Instructor, POLS 2102A: Capitalism and Democracy
Western University, Fall 2017 and Fall 2018
Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Political Theory
Western University, 2013 – 2017
Centre For Research and Education On Violence Against Children And Women, Current
- Author and contribute to articles, reports, and newsletters
Western University, 2017
- Project: Tradition & Transition among the Labrador Inuit
- Supervisor: Dr. Christopher Alcantara
Lalonde, D. 2018. “Regret, Shame, and Denials of Women’s Voluntary Sterilization.” Bioethics, 32(5): 281-8.
Alcantara, C., Lalonde, D., Wilson, G. N. 2017. “Indigenous Research and Academic Freedom: A View from Political Scientists.” The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 8(2).
Lalonde, Dianne. 2017. “Book Review of Resistance and Decolonization by Amílcar Cabral.” The Marx and Philosophy Review of Books.
Lalonde, Dianne. 2018. Sexist barriers block women’s choice to be sterilized. The Conversation Canada, August 24.
Lalonde, D., & Baker, L. 2019. Women with Disabilities and D/deaf Women, Housing, and Violence. Learning Network, Issue 27. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
Lalonde, D., Abramovich, A., Baker, L., & Tabibi, J. 2018. LGBTQ2S Youth, Violence, and Homelessness. Learning Network Newsletter, Issue 24. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children
Baker, L., Lalonde, D., & Tabibi, J. 2017. Women, Intimate Partner Violence, and Homelessness. Learning Network Newsletter, Issue 22. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
Select Conference Presentations
- Canadian Political Science Association – “Resolving the Dilemma of Essentialism: A Genealogical Approach to Culture” (May, 2018).
- Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics – “Framing Cultural Appropriation: Is it a free speech issue?” (May, 2018).
- Canadian Society of Women in Philosophy – “Shame on Childless Women: Investigating Denials of Women’s Voluntary Sterilization” (Oct, 2017).
- Association of Political Theory – “Determining Cultural Membership through Genealogy” (Oct, 2017).
- Canadian Political Science Association – “Extending Self-Ownership to Culture: A Justification of Cultural Property” (May, 2017).
- “Radical Feminism” for Women, Sex, & Politics, Western University (Winter, 2018).
- “Simone de Beauvoir” for Introduction to Political Theory, Western University (Winter, 2017).
- “Subject Appropriation: The Curious Case of Rachel Dolezal” for Critical Philosophy of Race, West Chester University (Winter, 2017).
- “Cultural Appropriation” for Professional Development Day, London Arts Council (Winter, 2017).
- “Foucault on Knowledge” for Introduction to Political Theory, Western University (Winter, 2016).
Awards and Scholarships
- Finalist for the Lieutenant Governor’s Visionaries Prize (2017)
- PSAC 610 Scholarship for Community Involvement (2017)
- Ontario Graduate Student Scholarship (2016 – 2017)
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship (2013 – 2017)
- Social Science Dean Graduate Scholarship (2013)
- Gender-based Analysis Plus Course (Status of Women Canada)
- Responding to Disclosures on Campus Training (Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children
- Scientist- Knowledge Translation Training (Hospital for Sick Children)
Dialogue: Canadian Philosophical Review
Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics
(May 2016 – Current)
Graduate Peer Support Facilitator,
Western Wellness Centre
(Sept 2016 – Dec 2017)
Graduate Student Representative,
Western’s Caucus on Women’s Issues
(Oct 2016 – Sept 2017)