Research Interests: Political Theory, Social and Political Thought, Cultural Studies, Feminism
PhD Candidate (ABD), Western University
September 2013 to present
- Dissertation: The Politics of Cultural Appropriation
- Supervisors: Dr. Nandita Biswas Mellamphy and Dr. Charles Jones
- Comprehensive Exams: Political Theory and International Relations
MA, Wilfrid Laurier University
September 2012 to August 2013
- Major Research Project:The Social Construction of Crime
- Supervisor: Dr. Loren King
BA (HONS), Queen’s University
September 2007 to April 2012
Instructor, POLS 1020E: Introduction to Political Science
Brescia University College, Winter 2019
Instructor, POLS 2102A: Capitalism and Democracy
Western University, Fall 2017 and Fall 2018
Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Political Theory
Western University, 2013 – 2017
Centre For Research and Education On Violence Against Children And Women, Current
- Author and contribute to articles, reports, and newsletters
Western University, 2017
- Project: Tradition & Transition among the Labrador Inuit
- Supervisor: Dr. Christopher Alcantara
Lalonde, D. 2019. “Does Cultural Appropriation Cause Harm?” Politics, Groups, and Identities.
Lalonde, D. 2018. “Regret, Shame, and Denials of Women’s Voluntary Sterilization.” Bioethics, 32(5): 281-8.
Alcantara, C., Lalonde, D., Wilson, G. N. 2017. “Indigenous Research and Academic Freedom: A View from Political Scientists.” The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 8(2).
Lalonde, D. 2017. “Book Review of Resistance and Decolonization by Amílcar Cabral.” The Marx and Philosophy Review of Books.
Lalonde, D. 2019. The election’s on: Now Canadians should watch out for dumbfakes and deepfakes. The Conversation Canada, Sept 11.
Lalonde, D. 2018. Sexist barriers block women’s choice to be sterilized. The Conversation Canada, August 24.
select Online Resources
Lalonde, D., Baker, L., & Nonomura, R. 2019. Thirty Years after the Montréal Massacre. Learning Network Issue 29. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
Lalonde, D., & Baker, L. 2019. Women with Disabilities and D/deaf Women, Housing, and Violence. Learning Network, Issue 27. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
Baker, L., Lalonde, D., & Tabibi, J. 2017. Women, Intimate Partner Violence, and Homelessness. Learning Network Newsletter, Issue 22. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
Select Conference Presentations
- Canadian Political Science Association Annual Conference (2015-2019)
- Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics Annual Conference(2015-2018)
- Canadian Society of Women in Philosophy Annual Conference (2017)
- Association of Political Theory Annual Conference (2015, 2017)
- Intersections/Cross-sections Graduate Conference (2016)
- Social Theory, Politics, and the Arts Conference (2014)
- “Cultural Appreciation Versus Cultural Appropriation” for Lerners LLP (Summer 2019)
- “Radical Feminism” for Women, Sex, & Politics, Western University (Winter, 2018)
- “Simone de Beauvoir” for Introduction to Political Theory, Western University (Winter, 2017)
- “Subject Appropriation: The Curious Case of Rachel Dolezal” for Critical Philosophy of Race, West Chester University (Winter, 2017)
- “Cultural Appropriation” for Professional Development Day, London Arts Council (Winter, 2017)
- “Foucault on Knowledge” for Introduction to Political Theory, Western University (Winter, 2016)
Awards and Scholarships
- Finalist for the Lieutenant Governor’s Visionaries Prize (2017)
- PSAC 610 Scholarship for Community Involvement (2017)
- Ontario Graduate Student Scholarship (2016 – 2017)
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship (2013 – 2017)
- Social Science Dean Graduate Scholarship (2013)
- Gender-based Analysis Plus Course (Status of Women Canada)
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Violence on Campus Training (Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children)
- Scientist-Knowledge Translation Training (Hospital for Sick Children)
Manuscript Reviewer, Dialogue: Canadian Philosophical Review (Current)
Vice President, Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics (May 2016 – Current)
Graduate Peer Support Facilitator, Western Wellness Centre (Sept 2016 – Dec 2017)
Graduate Student Representative, Western’s Caucus on Women’s Issues (Oct 2016 – Sept 2017)