Research Interests: Contemporary Political Theory, Cultural Studies, Politics of Identity
PhD Candidate (ABD), Western University
Sept 2013 – Present
- Dissertation: The Politics of Cultural Appropriation
- Comprehensive Exams: Political Theory and International Relations
MA, Wilfrid Laurier University
Sept 2012 – Aug 2013
BA (HONS), Queen’s University
Sept 2007 – Apr 2012
Instructor, POLS 2237E: Introduction to Political Theory
Huron University College, Winter 2022
Instructor, POLS 2295G: Political Theory Through Science Fiction
Huron University College, Winter 2021
Instructor, POLS 2297F: Citizenship, Borders, and the State
Huron University College, Fall 2020
Instructor, POLS 1020E: Introduction to Political Science
Brescia University College, Winter 2019
Instructor, POLS 2102A: Capitalism and Democracy
Western University, Fall 2017 and Fall 2018
Learning Network, Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children, June 2017 – Present
- Author and contribute to articles, reports, and newsletters
- Conduct and facilitate knowledge exchanges (e.g. in-person forums, performances, webinars)
Western University, 2017
- Project: Tradition & Transition among the Labrador Inuit
- Supervisor: Dr. Christopher Alcantara
- Lalonde D., Nonomura R., Tabibi J., Baker L., Morris M. (2021). Social Inclusion Through Trauma- and Violence-Informed Research: A Focus on Survivors of Violence. In P. Liamputtong (Ed.), Handbook of Social Inclusion. Springer, Cham.
- Lalonde, D. (2019). “Does Cultural Appropriation Cause Harm?” Politics, Groups, and Identities, 9(2), 329-46.
- Lalonde, D. (2018). “Regret, Shame, and Denials of Women’s Voluntary Sterilization.” Bioethics, 32(5), 281-8.
- Alcantara, C., Lalonde, D., Wilson, G. N. (2017). “Indigenous Research and Academic Freedom: A View from Political Scientists.” The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 8(2).
- Lalonde, D. (2017). “Book Review of Resistance and Decolonization by Amílcar Cabral.” The Marx and Philosophy Review of Books.
- Lalonde, D. (2019, Sept 11). The election’s on: Now Canadians should watch out for dumbfakes and deepfakes. The Conversation Canada.
- Lalonde, D. (2018, Aug 24). Sexist barriers block women’s choice to be sterilized. The Conversation Canada.
Selected Online Resources
- Lalonde, D. (2021). Policy Options on Non-Consensual Deepnudes and Sexual Deepfakes. Learning Network Brief 39. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
- Lalonde, D., Baker, L., Nonomura, R., & Tabibi, J. (2020). Trauma- and Violence-Informed Interview Strategies in Work with Survivors of Gender-Based Violence. Learning Network Issue 32. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
- Lalonde, D., Baker, L., & Nonomura, R. (2019). Thirty Years after the Montréal Massacre. Learning Network Issue 29. London, Ontario: Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Canadian Political Science Association Annual Conference (2015 – 2021)
- Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics Annual Conference (2015 – 2018)
- Canadian Society of Women in Philosophy Annual Conference (2017)
- Association of Political Theory Annual Conference (2015, 2017)
- Intersections/Cross-sections Graduate Conference (2016)
- Social Theory, Politics, and the Arts Conference (2014)
selected Guest Lectures
- “Cultural Appropriation or Cultural Appreciation” for Oakland Gay Men’s Chorus (Winter, 2021)
- “Cultural Appreciation Versus Cultural Appropriation” for Lerners LLP (Summer, 2019)
- “Simone de Beauvoir” for Introduction to Political Theory, Western University (Winter, 2017)
- “Subject Appropriation: The Curious Case of Rachel Dolezal” for Critical Philosophy of Race, West Chester University (Winter, 2017)
- “Cultural Appropriation” for Professional Development Day, London Arts Council (Winter, 2017)
Awards and Scholarships
- Finalist for the Lieutenant Governor’s Visionaries Prize (2017)
- PSAC 610 Scholarship for Community Involvement (2017)
- Ontario Graduate Student Scholarship (2016 – 2017)
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship (2013 – 2017)
- Social Science Dean Graduate Scholarship (2013)
- Gender-based Analysis Plus Course (Status of Women Canada)
- Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Violence on Campus Training (Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children)
- Scientist-Knowledge Translation Training (Hospital for Sick Children)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (Living Works)
- Dialogue: Canadian Philosophical Review
- American Sociological Review
Vice President, Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics (May 2016 – Mar 2022)
SELECTED Community-Based Positions
London-Middlesex Suicide Prevention Council, Project Coordinator (Dec 2016 – Nov 2018)
Elder Abuse London Middlesex, Project Coordinator (Feb 2015 – Sept 2017)
London & District Distress Centre, Program Assistant (Aug 2014 – Sept 2016)
Kingston Interval House, Business Development Project Assistant (Jun – Aug 2012)